The Hornet 3 is an hybrid solution that can fit regular bikes or e-bikes; you can fit 2 e-bikes with a large space in between or 1 e-bike and 2 regular bikes or 3 regular bikes. The Hornet 3 is very strong, stable and easy to use rack to transport the heaviest e-bikes. The wide wheel supports allow to mount most regular bike sizes and tire sizes.
- Assembly: Even though it is not assembled, Hornet 3 is very easy to put together: assemble the wheel support frame to the base using 6 screws, assemble the light support with 2 more screws, install the license plate, fit the rack to the tow ball with no tools needed and you are ready to go!
- Fitting to the car: When you first place the Hornet 3 on the tow ball it supports itself – you can let go of it and it won’t fall to the ground. You’ll then take the weight again, spin the tightening knob until it’s tight, and lock it. BUZZRACK‘s carriers comply with the very exacting standard XPR-18-904-4 and therefore include an anti-sway tensioner; this has an integrated handle and 2 or 3 turns are usually sufficient. The video below shows the fitting to the car and the installation of bikes.
- Holding the bike: Simply position the bike on the wheel support. Adjust the clamp position by sliding it around the vertical tubular frame to find the perfect fit with the bike frame. Clamp the frame, attach the wheels using the ratchet straps, lock the clamps.
- Lighting system: The Hornet 3 comes with a 7 pin lighting system. 7 pin to 13 pin adapter is not included but can be purchased as an option.
- Tilting: Tilting is easy, and is very well balanced even with a full load. The Hornet 3 sits quite high on the tow ball, and the tilt function is optimised to prevent the lights from hitting the road surface, while still using the weight of the bikes to help bring the bike platform back to the level again in a controlled way. But this geometry doesn’t allow for tall vertical tailgates to be opened – e.g. VW Transporter T5 and T6.